7 Days To Go

7 days to go


So, this time next week, I will be journeying down to London Kings Cross - a journey that usually has a lot of meaning to me, but perhaps no more than this...

Next Thursday, I will be finally flying out to New York. After months of preparation, anticipation and excitation it is finally with in touching distance. My American dream awaits.

Getting to this stage has also been rather exciting though. I applied onto a 'Camp Councillor' program with USA Summer Camps, via Camp Leaders. I received an email back in October saying USA SC were coming into my Brunel University (mine, obviously) to give a talk about spending a summer in the states. I though, why not, and came along to see what they had to say (It was between than and an economics lecture - easy choice). The talk had me hooked on the idea of becoming a camp councillor. That night, in true university fashion, I pulled an all-nighter, and completed my application by the morning.

After two sets of quick, painless interviews, and ensuring my application was complete, my application then became 'placeable'. This essentially meant that it was ready for one of Americas 600+ camps to decide I was good enough for me to work there. Within a few weeks (quick by usual standards - but I am rather amazing! ;) ), I was placed 'on review', and then placed onto my camp. Most are placed this way, but you can also be placed via a job fair instead.

Not all the application process is exciting though, as unfortunately like everything else, there was a great deal of paperwork to sort out (Always fun...). Thankfully though, 'Beaver Team' (the team of CL office staff responsible for my application) were there every step of the way. Credit to them, there customer service was truly exceptional, guiding me every step of the way, and were just a quick phone call away when things became complicated. Quite possibly the only time I've ever actually wanted to ring a call centre!

It really dawned on me in March, at my perpetration day in London. The day was very useful, but highly fun at the same time. It covered everything from working with kids, post-camp travel to packing - all mixed with crazy songs and games from the Camp Leaders National Team (Hoo-ra!).

After the final few bits and pieces were sorted, including flights, insurance and packing, I'm at where I am today. USA Summer Camps even gave me a quick call to make sure I was all sorted before I fly out (as I said, GREAT customer service). A long journey so far, but the real journey is about to begin...

So, I will leave you there for now. By the time my next post is online, I'll be the other side of the pond (unless my flight is cancelled, but I'd prefer not to think about that! :) )