The Flight

"Good morning passengers, this is your blogger Liam Cutler speaking. I'd like to welcome you to this blog from onboard American Airlines flight AA101 from London Heathrow to New York JFK. This flight will take approximately 6 hours 45 minutes, although reading this won't take nearly as long. In-blog entertainment include my poor jokes, so apologies if you actually expect this to be funny. Current conditions in Heathrow are great, with cloudless skies, little wind, and about 22oC. All that is left for me to say is sit back, relax, and enjoy the blog"


So, I've made it. After months of planning, and days stressing over the flight, I am finally airborne and New York bound.

This morning was far more relaxed than I anticipated. Woke up around 6:30, after having a surprisingly good nights sleep, and took the bus to the airport. Check-in was straight forward, and there were hardly any queues at security - couldn't have wished for better. I even had time to grab a breakfast from Starbucks, which always helps de-stress me (hence why I drink so much coffee - great for coping with exams; not so great for my bank account).

All around the terminal were plenty of others in Camp Leaders T-Shirts. I got chatting to a few groups (those t-shirts are a great ice breaker) and found a few people on the flight. Naturally, everyone was just as worried about missing their flight, slightly in the dark about what we are actually doing when getting to camp, and just as excited. Nice to know I'm not the only one! The 2 girls on the flight and I are also planning to meet at the other side, as we are on the same bus to Manhattan. At least then, if/when we get lost, we have each other for company!

There is plenty to keep me entertained on the flight, with the standard range of films, a socket to charge my iPad, and the inflight music includes Coldplay, Bastille and Avicii  (seriously great choice of music by AA!). The first inflight meal was also surprisingly good. I opted for the BBQ chicken with potato wedges. I was later served pizza though... The less that's said about that the better. Needless to say it reinforced my ideas about plane food.

Anyway, because the inflight entertainment is so good, I'm going to get back to watching The Lego Movie (EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!).

Bye for now!

Ps: I'll post something about New York and first impressions tomorrow, because I'm too tired and can't be arsed at the moment...

Pss: Thanks for all the comments on the blog/Facebook/text etc wishing me luck. Means a lot!