It's nearly 1 month to the day since I flew out to America. I can remember sitting in Heathrow Terminal 3 with a tremendous sense of nervousness, optimism and excitement. When I landed in New York, I had no idea what I was getting my self in for. I'm pleased to say I'm still alive, and while the nerves have faded, the optimism and excitement remains. The past month hasn't always been easy, at times I've been pushed to my absolute mental and physical limit, but it's been incredible.
Even though I've got several more weeks left, I'm going to be saying a few goodbyes. As our summer is split into 3 separate sessions of kids. The first of which has just ended. There will be some kids who I will miss greatly, and some I, quite frankly, can't wait to see the back of. I try very hard with all the kids, but some just don't care and appreciate that. Some though, are total gems. My swim classes have many of the latter - the kind of kids that never fail to bring a smile to my face. One boy in my bunk is the best. I've never met anyone his age as polite, friendly and courteous. He genuinely moves me to tears with some of the nice thinks he says to me. I told him that swimming what's going to be extra great on the last day. His response was for him to hug me, and to thank me for being such an amazing lifeguard and helping him to have the best time ever. No matter how many times a kid shouts abuse at me, that quote will always prevail.
On the final night, we had a big feast together as an entire camp. We were served a roast chicken (not quite as good as home, but nice none the less) which was well received. Some kids and staff were quite emotional about leaving. It's understandable, as you do make real emotional bonds to some kids. This is less the case with waterfront, as you spend less time with your unit - but see a lot of kids in your lessons instead. The banquet was also a great chance to celebrate completing the session. Some (including me) dressed smartly too. I was frequently told I was the best dressed male there.
Departure day was organised chaos too. Trying to get the kids packed and onto buses was a total nightmare. The exception was the bus I was in charge of loading. Naturally, as an economist, I loaded the bus in an efficient manner with an optimum staff/camper level... Except, that wasn't really the case due to human error - ie 80ish kids all playing up, being restless and generally not doing what they were supposed to do... Welcome to summer camp, where we stick twos up at all kind of logic and reason!
When the next set of campers arrive, a sense of déjà vu will overcome me. I've complete 1 session, but the next 2 won't be the same. New kids, new start. The only thing that won't change are the very same feelings I felt on landing - nervousness, optimism and excitement. Next week, the reset button is hit, and things start all over again.
Now, I'm heading to Atlantic City, NJ for some well earned r&r. Oh, and the best bit about it is I don't have to be with any kids at all...!