Learning Curves

There were many reasons for me going to camp: I had never been to the USA before, and really wanted to; it would stop me lounging around watching Location Location Location on 4oD repeatedly; and of course because it sounded amazing. But, one key reason is that it would help me grow as a human being, and let me experience new ways of life, new challenges and a way of working that would completely put me out of my comfort zone. So far, I believe I will achieve all of those goals (although if I get a decent wifi connection, I wouldn't rule out LLL).

I had my first swimming lessons today. Of my 4 lessons, 2 went great, 1 so-so, and one, well, it was a total disaster. To imagine how bad it was, picture me as that really bad supply teacher who literally has no control whatsoever over the class, and it's quite obvious they have no idea what they are doing (I have a great story about this. Unrelated, but I've included it below for your enjoyment). To be fair, it was my first ever lesson, and was a total shock to the system with regards to their concentration spans in particular. I debriefed with the waterfront director and a few other lifeguards. It's learning the hard way, but at least I've learned from it. One lesson in particular went really well. The group has 3 very polite girls, who were very enthusiastic. Again, I've learned a lot from that too about how to 'do it right'. I've had lessons since then - 4 per day, 1 for each group. They are getting better, so it is just a question of learning on the job.

Another learning curve I faced was how to interact with the kids. I've worked with kids before, but they were very different. With my Youth Council work, I was working with peers. All were 'on my level', mature and well spoken. This meant I had no issues interacting with them. Swim club was similar. I usually coached those aged 8-14, similar ages to those on camp. But Northallerton Swim Club's swimmers were again rather well behaved, high ability (ie could swim really well) and really really loved swimming (kind of obvious really. They may skip the occasional length, but would do as told). Compare that to camp kids, who don't always like the water, often have short attention spans and haven't been brought up with how to behave correctly. Or, put it this way, the kids on camp probably aren't used to a white, middle class, well spoken Englishman telling them what to do... 

There was one incident in particular that really pushed me to the limit. Evening entertainment varies from night to night, from bunk nights (just 1 tent doing things together), unit nights (whole hills, such as my lower boys) and whole camp special nights. Tonight was a bunk night. Because one tent really wanted to go fishing, I agreed to swap with another councillor, as a lifeguard is required to go fishing (in case a kid falls/jumps/gets pushed into the water). I agreed, as I saw how much it made to them. The kids were quite giddy (nothing unusual) and took a while to get them tobe calm and get their life jackets on. They rather enjoyed the fishing, but one kid struggled to grasp the concept of sharing, and stormed off. Cut a very long (1 hour +) story short, it resulted in him crying his eyes out, becoming rather violent and removing his life jacket and wanting to enter the water. I did very well at staying calm and ensuring he didn't enter the water; but other areas (like keeping him calm) I really struggled with. As much as it was highly stressful, it was a huge learning experience. My unit leader was also fantastic about it, and was great for letting some steam out, and going through 'what ifs?' and 'in hindsight' to help me cope better in future. It was the first major thing I had experienced, and certainly not the last - but at least next time I will be better prepared for it.

I've came here to develop myself as a person. It is things like this that are part of that experience. It can be tough, it isn't usually simple, it can be stressful - but I'm gaining a lot from it. And when things do go right, I just makes the sense of success even more amazing. 

Anyway, I'm finally on my first day off - which is really well deserved. I have now got a decent bed, wifi and shower (such luxuries at camp!). More photos are on the way also. Oh, and please don't cry reading my blog. 2 people have already said they odd for the last post.


SIDENOTE
Ok, so the supply teacher story. Basically, in year 9, we had this really bad supply teacher for 6 months. She 'taught' us English. Quite frankly, she was not fit to teach. Each lesson, the pupils would run riot (except me. I was a good kid who always behaved). No body did any work, as she had no control whatsoever. One lesson, towards the end of here tenure, somebody threw a paper plane at her. It hit her on the back of the head, so my mate blamed it on me. She yelled 'Liam Cutler, get out the classroom now'. So I yelled back 'I'd probably learn more out there, as it is not as if I'm learning anything in here'. I though if I was going to get sent out, I might as well give her an actual reason to do so. That was the only time I was ever sent out a lesson (I was that geeky kid. That geeky kid who has a decent set of A-Levels and is doing an Economics degree at a leading London uni. Jokes on them).

Anyway, that was irrelevant, but pretty good story anyway!