6 Flags Great Adventure

The second day of my break was spent at 6 Flags Great Adventure, NJ. People who know me well know I LOVE theme parks, so the fact I've been to one of the greatest in the world now, with a massive international reputation, was a real pleasure for the adrenaline junkie in me!

Thankfully, the park was really quiet, meaning I didn't have to queue for most rides. The exception was Kingda Ka, which was running intermittently due to the weather. This surprised me, as UK theme parks are usually rammed to the rim on Summer Saturdays. I was prepared for 2 hour queues, which thankfully failed to materialise.




6 Flags has many big coasters, quite a few with a superhero theme. One of these was the Superman coaster, the worlds first flying coaster. Essentially, you ride in a laying, or flying position - as if you were actually superman. It's a similar sort of set up to Air, at Alton Towers. This ride was really great, especially when ridden at the front. The Green Latern coaster was also unlike anything on the UK, as you actually rode it whilst standing. This really was a unique experience, and a real thrill. The Batman ride (#IAmTheBatman) was also really impressive. Predictably, it was a bat-flier and again was incredible.



Nitro was one of the other coasters there. I rode that one first, and was right in the front row. The ride was really long, and pulled a lot of G-force. Being right at the front made it really difficult to keep my eyes open throughout, as I was pummelled by spray drops in the air.

El Toro also deserves a mention. It's an old style wooden coaster, and hence was very rickety. This ride really shook me up, due to the fact it's old and wooded. I felt like a piece of fruit in a blender with this one, and was a little bumped and bruised afterwards.

A few weeks earlier, a brand new drop ride opened, called Zumanjaro. At 425ft, it free falls at speeds of upto 90mph. The ride is strapped to the Kingda Ka, another ride in the park. The build up to the drop was really tense, as I had no idea what to expect, but the drop was over in seconds. A real rush of blood to the head.

Then, there is the Kingda Ka itself. Whoa, what a ride. This is one of the best, if not the best, roller coaster in the world, and is my personal favourite. Nothing quite compares to this at all. 425ft, it is the worlds tallest roller coaster. The ride launches you forward then upto the top of the hill, and accelerates to 130mph in just 2 seconds. The ride may have been short, but it really was worth it - with riding at the front making it even better.

The park is a real must - for first timers and adrenaline junkies alike. It really was a fantastic day, and one of the best since camp began. Yes, it was a bit pricey at $66 (including bus), but it was well worth it.