It's that time of camp again: 1 session of kids are left, with the next (and this time final) session of kids due on Tuesday. This leaves a gap, which can only mean INTERSESSION! For this weekend off, I'm heading to the Big Apple Itself - New York City!
Due to the lack of internet in camp, we ended up booking our accommodation a few days beforehand. This meant there was very limited availability and hotels were far more expensive (I forgot my usual moneysavingexpert.com ways... Martin Lewis would be so disappointed). This meant we had to try something a little different. As a regular traveler on the London Underground whilst at Uni, I had seen a website called AirBnB advertised repeatedly, and thought I'd give it a go. Basically, AirBnb is 3rd party, advertising other peoples apartments they rent for short periods of time. I can say it is a website I will certainly be using again!
The appartment we checked into is great. There are 5 stating there, including myself, and works out at $75/pppn - cheaper than most hotels. The appartment is small, but comfortable, and helps add to the New York experience. The location is amazing too, as it is on the 2nd/49th corner in Midtown Manhatten, walking distance to attractions such as Times Square, Grand Central and the Port Authority Bus Terminal.
We arrived into New York around 11am yesterday. I was on the bus with the kids this time, which was fine. They were slightly restless and loud, but no major issues. This is about the only time we see the parents with their kids too. Getting off the bus they'll run to their parents, but then straight back to the councillor they want to thank. This makes me feel really happy that they appreciate the job we are doing (it would make me happier if some appreciated it more at camp itself though. The kids that keep complaining and moaning are highly annoying...).
I didn't do a great deal on Friday, due to it being a half day and needing to sort out keys etc. I did though explore Times Square. It is everything you'd imagine the cliche to be - bright, loud and weird. There were all sorts of street entertainment there: from a temporary art show, to bikini clad exotic dancers, to Batman (and plenty of others dressed as film characters). This all adds to the quirk of the place.
Saturday was spend at 6 Flags theme park (separate blog post). Returning from there, I took a slight detour to the Grand Central train terminal, to get a few snaps. The station is very grand, clad almost entirely in marble. It's just like in the movies...
The blocks near my appartment are all very smart, with many bars and restaurants. A few of us dined at one of those. Literally just below the appartment is an Italian restaurant, which was a little pricey, but really nice. I ordered a great pasta, and a side of bread and oils. Certainly and improvement on camp food.
On Sunday, we ventured across the Brooklyn Bridge. Although cloudy, the views were still fantastic. You could see most of midtown Manhatten, plus the financial district, including the new World Trade Centre. The bridge itself was really crowded, but there were occasional moments of calm, where you could grab a quick photo.
I finished the day up in Soho. It's quite quirky and hipster, but rather British. There were a lot of British chain shops, such as Topman (although far more expensive). From there, we headed to Little Italy, for an amazing feed. Little Italy itself feels so little like New York, and much more 'continental Europe', which I rather liked. Certainly reccomend this area for good food.
But, all good things come to an end, and it's now back to camp. Let the fun and games, recommence...