After a 4:15 am start, andmy second Megabus of the trip, I have now arrived into Miami. And what a place it is. A beautiful Art Deco beach city, with clear blue water, and miles of sandy beach. Perfect place to sit back, relax and chill out.
I'm staying at the Sobe Hostel of South Beach. It is only one block away from the beach which is ideal. It's not as stylish as the New Orleans hostel, and the dorm is cramped, but it's still cheap at $20/night. Breakfast and dinner are also included which is a huge bonus - and something I didn't realise when booking.
The hostel itself wasn't the greatest place I've ever stayed though. My room could only be described as a prison cell - a tiny little concrete box with 14 beds. I suppose though it's what hostels are all about, as they aren't supposed to be any good, just cheap. And anyway, I'll just give them a bad review on Trip Advisor to make me feel better...
The main thing about Miami is the beach, which is beautiful. The sand is golden white and the water clear blue. The water temperature is also amazing. After spending a summer working in a cold lake, it's a real pleasure swimming in the ocean which actually feels warm. I've pretty much spent all my time in Miami on the beach. As much as enjoy sightseeing, it is nice just to be really chilled and relax.
There are also a plethora of nice restaurants in Miami, hence why we've had a few meals out. My favourite of which was the Mexican/Argentinain restaurant. I had amazing enchiladas there, which were also surprisingly cheap. I also had a great Italian at a restaurant near the hostel. Naturally, I opted for my favourite, spaghetti carbonara, which was incredibly nice. This all makes a change from fast food, which a far amount of my meals have been (I'll hit the gym back in the UK...).
This post is rather shorter than the rest because, well, I've not done a great deal. Whilst the rest of the trip was rather intensive, this was far more relaxed. Although, I will say Miami has possibly been the best part of the trip so far. Beautiful city, beautiful beach, beautiful ocean. The penultimate leg of my trip is Washington. I'll be getting a 6:30am flight there, which means an early start, but also a far cheaper flight that leaves me with an extra 1/2 day in Washington. This part of the trip I'm very excited about, as it's time to let my politics geek side shine!