The journey beings. I've now landed into New Orleans for the first leg of my post camp travel. I'll be travelling most of the way with 3 others - 2 lifeguards and another friend from camp, meeting other friends along the way. What happens when 2 Englishmen, 2 Irish, 2 Dutchmen and an American head to New Orleans? Well, I'll tell you...
The flight itself was fine. We did have to change flight due to our original being heavily delayed, meaning we would miss our connection. I managed to negotiate with the airline to get a better deal for some of us though. We were rebooked onto a later, but direct, flight - meaning we departed later but arrived earlier, removing the mad rush from camp to JFK airport we would have originally had. Plus, we were even upgraded to Premium class! Win win!
The plane we were on was tiny, and could only hold about 100 people. It was one of the oddest things I've ever seen.
The
hostel we are in in New Orleans is really cool. It's set in a series of typical New Orleans houses, with high ceilings, retro decor and the porch out front. It has a really great vibe, and I'd really recommend it. Plus, at $18/pppn, it's also really cheap.
New Orleans is very French in its appearance and personality. It is in fact named after the French Duke of Orléans and was established by the French. This is good, because I adore France, and have been there every summer (except this) for the past 10 years. There is also a lot of Spanish influence too, given it was passed from French to Spanish control and back, before finally becoming American. There are plenty of small little streets with independent shops on them, again not to dissimilar to a French ville. We spent most of the morning wandering through the streets, admiring the architecture. We also rode on the streetcar, which is really cool.
The cathedral was also worth a visit. As much as I'm not religious, I still admire the architecture and sense of tranquility. It also served as a shelter from the heat, as temperatures peaked at 37oC today. I coped fairly well with the heat, but others in the group (particularly the Irish... No stereotypes) struggled slightly.
We had lunch at an open air jazz restaurant on the first day. I opted for a traditional Nawlins Po'boy - essentially a sub sandwich; whilst others opted for the Jambalaya, which so a rice dish originating from New Orleans. Both were very tasty. The atmosphere in the restaurant was great too, as they had a live jazz band, plus it was very close to the Mississippi and French market.
We did more exploring of the city today - this time along the river. We also travelled along St Charles Av to get a bit more of a feel for the city. We used the streetcar a lot to explore, as it was air conditioned and didn't involve walking - a huge bonus given temperatures peaked at 40oC today. Audubon park was a surprise find for us too. The park itself was beautiful, and a chance for a chill for a bit. The area around there was also very affluent, with some amazingly grand houses.
I've decided I really like this city, and would certainly come back given the chance. It's relaxed, scenic and cultural, and unlike most of America. The next stage of my journey is Orlando. I'll be catching an overnight bus, arriving there around lunchtime. I imagine Orlando and New Orleans will be very different, but exciting in there own ways - especially since theme parks will be involved...