This leg of my journey started with something typically American - the coach journey on the Megabus. I remember being told by many (including at the Camp Leaders prep day) about how romantic travelling by coach round America is... Except it isn't... To be honest, it was rather boring. Megabus in the US is pretty much exactly the same as the UK - where Megabus started and is based. The bus left at midnight, meaning I spent a large chunk of the journey drifting in and out sleep. The rest was just watching films, researching other travel bits and reading The Economist - nothing special. The journey took 12 hours, and was 650+ miles. But, at $45, it was great value - and I would have got it cheaper if it wasn't a Saturday. This is actually FAR cheaper the Greyhound. Megabus certainly wins on price and practicality!
Another business mention goes to AirBnb, who I've yet again used to book accommodation. This time, I'm staying in a room in an appartment. It cost $106 for 3 nights - which is FAR cheaper than hotels in Orlando. The added bonus this time is I'm staying with someone else. This has really added to my experience, as I'm staying with a 'real life American'. He has been really friendly and helpful and full of local knowledge. If anyone is ever looking for cheap alternitives to hotels, AirBnB is a great website!
Pretty much all my time at Orlando in Universal. Over the 2 days, I visited both Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure. There are a few big roller coasters there - such as Hulk and Rip Ride RockIt, but most rides focus on visual effects simulators, such as Spider-man, Harry Potter, and The Simpsons Ride.
My favourite ride in Islands of Adventure was certainly Hulk - a traditional style coaster, with plenty of speed and inversions. At the main park, Universal Studios, my favourite was Rip Ride RockIt, a fast coaster, but with the added twist of playing music on the way round.
Spider-man and Harry Potter were also very impresssive. Given universal is actually a movie studio, they can do some incredible visual effects, which is the main part of the ride. Essentially those 2 (plus others) were just films merged with roller coasters. Not as thrilling, but still impressive.
I also took a quick trip to London Kings Cross... Almost. As part of the Wizarding World Of Harry Potter, there was a replica of the station. I expected it to be 'the American view' of Britain - ie not remotely close, but it was surprisingly realistic. The exterior was nearly identical, the departure boards showed East Coast trains and, extremely like actual Kings Cross, it too has no Metropolitan line service to Uxbridge at the weekend...
In hindsight, I could have comfortably done both parks in one day. The queues today were short, plus there aren't many big rides, so it really could be done. Its $175 for 2 days or $136 for both parks - so I could have saved a little bit. Despite being a great 2 days, it was not worth the cost. Other parks in the USA (and indeed the UK) are far cheaper, and have a lot of bigger rides. 6 Flags Great Adventure was only $66, which I much preferred. Plus, Thorpe Park in the UK is £48 - for the entire year. I can also comfortably say I prefer both of those parks over universal. Overall, I'm actually very disappointed by universal which I had really high expectations for. I'm glad I visited, but it certainly wasn't worth the cost.
Orlando itself is nothing special either. Besides the theme parks, there isn't a lot to it. It's pretty much just mile after mile of out of town malls and apartments. Pretty dull really. It's also not a town suited for pedestrians either. Just trying to get to Wal-Mart was a bit of a trex walking along a highway.
So, as much as universal was great, the trip as a whole was a little disappointing - but you live and learn. I'm glad I went, but probably won't return. I'll be catching another Megabus again - this time to Miami. Onwards and upwards!