So, this is it. The final blog post on camp. We are now approaching the end of the third and final session. A journey which began over 2 months ago, now has but a few days remaining. And what an amazing 2 months they were.
There was one night in the final session where camp turned up the glamour - Red Carpet Night. Parading down the red carpet were all manner of celebrities: from NBA stars, to characters from Guardians Of The Galaxy, to Beyoncé; via Katness and Peeta from the Hunger Games, Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs, and Will Smith. Oh, and me, Batman.
We all paraded down a red carpet, before some gave a small performance. Some councillors were amazing singers and dancers, whilst others were just there for joke (I'm definitely in the 2nd category...). Some notable performances included a Eurovision style dance from our 2 Hungarian Staff; The Evolution Of Dance - a mashup of loads of songs, performed in a comic style; and various singers - my favourite being one of the lifeguards with a cover of Titanium. It was one of my favourites nights of camp so far, and certainly all kids and councillors loved it. Even at this very late stage, camp is still pulling new surprises.
Another small highlight was movie night. I chose the film and opted for The Lego Movie - which has quickly become one of my favourite films of all time. The kids seemed to enjoy the movie - but not nearly as much as me. The only slight 'downside' is the kids are now all singing Everything Is Awesome. It doesn't bother me, but other councillors are getting a tad annoyed of hearing EVERYTHING IS AWESOME! every 5 minutes.
Weather has been the biggest disappointment this session again. We did have one day where temperatures peaked in the high 30oCs, where being in the water was great. This didn't last. Temperatures now rarely exceed 20oC, which makes life in the water difficult. Or, to put it mother way, I'm now wearing trousers. Being from Yorkshire, that really does mean its cold! This morning I woke up and was actually able to see my breath condense. Times is was so cold, lessons has to be cancelled. It's a real shame, but unfortunately we can change the weather.
Although, there was something slightly worse than the weather this session, that again I had no control over. Either due to the fact it was cold, or most likely due to the fact I've had to raise my voice a lot on camp, I managed to get laryngitis and lose my voice. Great. This made my day very difficult. Despite the fact I literally couldn't say a word all day, I was still expected to look after the kids. This was a bit of a stupid decision bearing in mind kids barely listen to you anyway, let alone responding to hand gestures. Despite the fact the kids could pretty much do anything (but thankfully didn't), I literally had no voice in the matter.mi probably still did a better job looking after kids without my voice than some councillors do normally (I'm just that amazing). At time of writing, my voice has not yet returned (about 1 day without). I used to lose my voice a lot a few years back, which would last anywhere between a day and 1 week usually. Hopefully the former in this case.
There are now just 3 full days of camp, so this really is the last chance to give it my all (even if my voice won't!). It will be sad to bring it all to an end, but when one door closes, another opens, as my post camp travel is just round the corner - which promises to be incredible. Next time I'll be posting to the blog, I'll be done with camp, and most likely chilling in New Orleans.