What a summer that was. From start to finish, it was simply incredible. I've posted all summer about how amazing it was, but even my blog can't quite capture just how special it was. In true camp fashion, I'm going to reflect back using Roses, Thorns and Buds. It's a technique we use as staff with our kids, and indeed ourselves.
Rose
There have been a lot of positives throughout the summer. But, I would have to say it's the people who have made this summer. I feel I've met some incredible people, who I'll probably remain friends with for years to come. Almost all were really friendly, and great times were shared. I've became great friends some on the waterfront and in my unit. This continued into my travels also. I travelled mainly with 2 other lifeguards, another friend who was with us until Miami, and were joined by various others throughout the way. One friend especially was both a lifeguard and in my unit. As we were both in the staff tent together, we were rarely separate. There was only 3 days out of about 80 we were separate. Most on camp got along really well, and I felt a big part of that. To every single one of you - thanks.
Thorn
Admittedly, camp isn't fully perfect. My job was hard. A combination of long hours, the children's behaviour and often the weather, made it really tough at times. There were some points where I really struggled, and questioned myself and my abilities critically. Particularlly when you have really tough kids you really cannot get through to, it's a real challenge. I soldiered on when I struggled. The kids are more important on camp than I am, so I just had to keep going for their sake. Coming back to my rose, we did have a great staff team, who were really supportive if people were struggling for any reason.
Bud
The bud is normally something for the future. In my case, it's normality. Now, I'm looking forward to a lot of things I've missed whilst in the states. Healthy food; a comfy bed; hot shower; curry; Nandos; British TV; Cafe Nero; the gym; my parents... The list goes on. Between landing and my train, I stopped off at my new university house. This I suppose is my bud, as I'm very excited to move in, meet back with friends and make our house our own. I'll be in my second year of university, and am really raring to go and enthusiastic for the year ahead. After some of the things I achieved on camp, I feel like I can do anything.
So, that was my summer. Thank you to all those who made it possible. Thanks to Camp Leaders, for giving amazing customer service, and giving me the chance to apply to camp in the first place. Thanks of course to the camp director for offering me a job. Thanks to all staff on camp; collectively, you're amazing, and I promise to stay in touch with you. Finally, thanks to you for reading my blog. I've had great fun writing it, and I hope you have reading. Keep watching this space as more will be posted in due course.
If you are looking for a wake up call to apply to camp, here it is. Applications for 2015 are now open with Camp Leaders at campleaders.co.uk. Just do it. I did, and haven't regretted a single bit of it. I can honestly say I really have had the summer of a lifetime...