New York

My final destination of this trip has a real sense of déjà vu. I am I fact doing the complete reverse of my very first day in America on my very last. By that, I mean staying yet again at the Hostelling International, before making the return journey from JFK to Heathrow.

This time in New York, I'm trying to do things I missed on my previous times here. First on the list was Battery Park and South Ferry at the lowest tip of Manhattan. I caught the ferry over to Staten Island, which is free. It provided a great view of the statue and financial district.


I also paid a visit to the 9/11 memorial. It was quite a moving sight. The reflecting pool surrounded by the names of those who died that day was huge, and I can begin to imagine what it was like for those involved. But, part of me feels this memorial is also a symbol of hope . The surrounding area seems to have a lot of building work, which suggests New York is trying to progress again. The new World Trade Centre is also rather impressive - with its giant glass structure dominating the skyline.


I also found an urban escape at the High Line. This is park built on former industrial rial tracks. It is quiet and tranquil, but still has an urban feel. I personally found it rather impressive, and walked entirely end to end at a rather slow pace. I stopped along the way for a Gelato. It wasn't cheap, but was gourmet, and tasted really amazing. My guidebook highly recommended it, and wasn't wrong. I opted for lemon and ameretto, but there were plenty of other flavours available.


The highlight of my stint in New York was the Top Of The Rock. For $29, you can pay to visit the observation deck of the Rockerfeller Center. I've been told by friends who visited previously that it offers a far better view than the Empire State. Needless to say, it did not disappoint. The 360o panoramic view of the city was incredible. I timed the visit around the time of sundown, so I could see the city in the light, sunset and darkness. This was a brilliant idea, as it shown the city (literally) in different lights. The Top Of The Rock that evening was also quite symbolic. As the sun set that evening in New York, the sun was also about to set on my summer of a lifetime...


Labels: , , ,