Underprivileged Camps

There is certainly a camp for every different applicant. Camp Leaders works with hundreds, all over the USA. Some big, some small. Some are Christian others Jewish. Some might be independently run, others part of a group such as the YMCA. My camp was classed as underprivileged camp. As much as every camp is unique, I felt working at an underprivileged camp was just a little bit more unique.

To say my camp was underprivileged is a bit of an understatement - as it could well be the most underprivileged underprivileged camp Camp Leaders works with - and they do work with rather a lot. In fact, my camp caters for homeless children living in the New York City shelter system. Run by the Coalition For The Homeless, the camp hosts around 300 children over the summer, with children often facing severe behavioural difficulties, domestic violence and very poor living conditions - although this varies from camper to camper. This New York Times article written about one of the families of campers that come most years gives an insight into just how tough it can be.

Working with children from these backgrounds has its own challenges. Behaviour in particular was tough, especially as often children hadn't really been taught how to behave ever. Violence was often a second instinct for them, with them wanting to lash out at other campers at any opportunity. This was only an issue for a few campers, but those who were like this were certainly a challenge - especially to stop other campers mimicking this.

Although, one challenge that my camp did not face was ungratefulness. 16 days away from the city is something highly valued by the campers. Being able to swim, cycle, do arts and crafts, take photos, dance, sit round a campfire all meant so much to them. There was no 'I wont do that', there was no snobbery and even the tiniest of things made a difference. Even simple things like they very rarely turned down food - which always made me feel bad as I'm a really fussy eater. Being able to swim for the first time was a huge achievement for the campers - which most of us don't remember as a big achievement really. I will always remember on day 2 of camp, one of my campers said "I want to spend the rest of my life here. I have never enjoyed myself this much".

Working with underprivileged children meant so much to me. I felt that what I was doing made a difference and a genuine impact on the campers. By the end of the summer, I was so incredibly proud of what I had achieved - not just for myself, but for the campers. What have you done today to make yourself feel proud? well, I taught a child to swim.

My experience at camp has certainly changed my outlook on life. Knowing the backgrounds of the campers, I will never take my life for granted. Yes, it may not be perfect, but it could be a whole lot worse. I also appreciate others need things more than I do. While I may provide 10% of the revenue of my local branch of Caffe Nero, someone sleeping rough certainly needs that coffee more than I do. Whilst my student loan is nowhere near enough, giving up a small chunk won't matter too much, especially if it going to those who really need it.


Yes, I could have worked at a 'regular' camp, and possibly had an easier summer at a camp with better behaved kids and better facilities - but I wouldn't change my experience on camp for the world. I have done a lot of amazing things... but I have to say that this tops the list.


I will finish on this. Few of the kids in the video I either taught or had them in my cabin. Despite being homeless, they are still children, with hopes and dreams just like the rest of us - except reaching their dreams is just a little bit harder. If you can get through this video without crying a little, you have no soul...


PS: Few updates on the blog. Yes, I know full well I finished camp months ago, but I will never shut up about it... like ever.

Also, to the person who recognised me when I interviewed them because they had read my blog... I salute you! #InternetFamous

Labels: , , , ,