It all started with an email

So, it's been a while since I last posted on here. In fact, it's nearly been a year. Certainly a lot has changed since then... I thought I would give it a dust down, a bit of a facelift and even a new name.

For those who don't know, I am currently trying to 'adult' by working a 'normal' job at a well known UK retail and commercial bank. It seems a far cry from the work I was doing on camp. Lakefront has been swapped for fancy office, middle of nowhere swapped for the City of London, and working with kids swapped for working with a portfolio of non-strategic retail and wholesale assets... Although the skills I'm using are broadly the same as my last post details.

The other important thing is that unlike summer, I WILL BE RETURNING TO CAMP IN 2016! I'm excited, if you can't tell by the excessive capitalisation of I WILL BE RETURNING TO CAMP IN 2016! And once more for good measure... I WILL BE RETURNING TO CAMP IN 2016!!!!!!

Despite not posting though, apparently the blog remains popular. Camp Leaders used to fancy wizardry thingy that analyses who signs up to the Camp Leaders program - and one of my posts managed to lead to 4 sign ups last week alone. Yes, that's right, 4 PEOPLE ARE GOING TO THE USA BECAUSE OF MY BLOG - just from last week alone! Pretty cool huh.

My own story about how I ended up on camp is actually quite similar. I often tell this to the people I interview with my role on the Camp Leaders National Team. 

It all started in my first few weeks at uni. I really wanted a holiday, and decided to look at America. Unfortunately, as a student, it all seemed rather out of my price range - so I quickly put that idea to bed.

That was all until I got a chance email from my university...

It started "Want to spend your summer in the USA?" So I answered, yeah, why not?

I was invited to a presentation with Camp Leaders the next week. I went, and knew I was hooked on the idea. Traveling America, doing the things I love and getting paid to do so... Win! I filled my application that evening... And the rest is well, history.

This was a huge risk. To be honest, I had no idea what summer camp really was, and what I was getting myself in for. But it worked out well in the end. And to think, none of that would have happened without  that email from Camp Leaders...

Coming back to that blog post though, what if that is the same with those reading my blog? My role with Camp Leaders means I could be the difference between someone going to camp, or someone not. Again, that is really quite cool! So who knows, there's probably a fair few people with a similar story to tell...

If you see one of these guys around your campus, prepare to have your plans for the summer re-written!

Labels: , , , , , ,