How to Nail Your Camp Leaders interview

To date, I have conducted over 150 Camp Leaders in just under 2 years on the National Team. Whilst I wouldn't call myself an expert, I like to think I know what a good interview and a bad interview looks like. So, it might me useful then to hear what I think makes a great Camp Leaders interview then...


The Interview Is There To Help You

Most don't realise before the interview that your interviewer (me) will be doing a write up of your interview - which can later be read by camps. To make sure that report is a good as possible, I need to hear from you. None of the questions are designed to catch you out - so just answer them to your best of you ability. I'll often ask several follow questions, not because you've answered badly, but because I want to find out more.

It's Just Like Having a Chat Over a Coffee

Actually, to be honest, it is having a chat over a coffee. The interview is more relaxed than a 'normal' job interview. See it as a coffee and a chat, and you'll be far more relaxed, and likely give better answers. I often use examples people give me when I go off topic and we talk about something slightly irrelevant - usually because someone mentions something they forgot/wouldn't mention when answering a question.

But, this is still a job interview, and don't forget that. I have had a few candidates who have been way too relaxed... And perhaps shown their 'true colours' a little too much. Be friendly, but definitely stay professional

Be Unique

One of the best things about doing these interviews is that I get to meet a lot of interesting people. One minute I could be interviewing someone who swims nationally for their university, the next interviewing someone who once saved a dog drowning in a canal, to someone who co-directed Ellie Goulding's "Something In The Way You Move" (all real examples).

I am genuinely interested in everyone I interview - and my most memorable ones usually have something pretty unique about themselves. So if you've done something that you think is cool, I almost certainly will think it's cool to. If you're proud of it, tell me about it.

Despite doing 150 ish interviews, I can remember something about almost every person I have ever interviewed.

Your Level of Experience Isn't that Important

You don't need to have coaching qualifications to go to camp; you don't even need to have worked with children before. If you don't have that much experience - it's not a problem. I'll just focus on what experience you do have. Even if you have babysitter a few times for a friend; taught your brother how to play guitar; or enjoy lane swimming and feel you could teach it - that is all great! I can find ways to make that experience relevant to camp quite easily.

At the end of the day, you are there on camp to learn. If camp only had majorly experienced people, it wouldn't really be the same. Camp is all about diversity, and your background and experience is all part of that...

Show Your Excitement

Someone who shows a real interest in camp, has a genuine passion for their sports/skills, and is really enthusiastic will almost certainly do well at interview. Likewise, a lack of interest is a big turn off.

Enthusiasm is a key quality of a camp counsellor. If you are enthusiastic, your campers will be too!

People ask good questions will often gain extra marks too. In the same way that I'm interested in you, it's great to see your interested in me. If one of your questions is 'So where where you on camp?' or 'Tell me about camp', and that leads to a conversation about camp - I will give you extra marks. Trust me, I LOVE talking about camp! (if you haven't already guessed...)


So, they are my tips for your Camp Leaders interview. Although the summer is drawing near, it's still not too late to secure your interview. All it takes is £49 to secure your interview - so what are you waiting for?

Bonus photo on the train to the CL National Team training weekend...

Labels: , , , , , ,