International Love - Staff Training Part 1

There are quite a few times in life to feel a little nervous - and the day the remaining camp staff arrive is certainly one of them.  I've been here just over a week, but we now finally nearly have our full quota of staff for the summer. I'm both a returner, and am settled into camp - so really I don't have much to be nervous about, but first impressions still count. And of course, is there any better way of making a great first impression than wearing a Boro shirt? (It must be said I am still in that post-promotion glow). But, at last, we are all together.

A little bit like when the kids arrive, the staff already at camp (program, support staff and lifeguards) waited patiently for the bus of counsellors to arrive. Upon arrival, we then proceeded to shout, scream and cheer the arrival of our new colleagues and friends. The next 15 mins or so was a whirlwind of handshakes, hugs and hellos. If I though that I was nervous, this was nothing compared to some of the new arrivals.

We started the afternoon getting to know our units - and yet again I'm on the lower boys unit, Sherwood Forest. My first impression of the unit was generally positive, but that they seemed a little quiet, although they have really came out of their shells in the past few days. We have been doing a big mix of team building games to get to know each other. One example was the spiders web - where the whole team has to climb through a "spiders web" of string tied between two trees without touching the rope. This was also the one where I broke my finger in several places on scout camp... So this time I was obviously a little bit more careful.

As a returner, there is a slight obligation on myself to be the lead. It's not quite "been there, done that, got the t-shirt", but it's up to us to provide the reassurance, enthusiasm and support to the group. Our unit is slightly thin with returners - as we only have myself, plus 2 others and the unit leader, who have been to camp before. In practice, this has meant leading ice-breaker games, answering questions people may have and generally being a source of knowledge. It is actually a nice position to be in - especially since I was in their position during my first summer and really appreciated all this help.

Some of the guys from my unit that I will have the pleasure of working with
We have also of course done a number of large icebreakers with the whole camp. Perhaps one of my favourite is "mingle". It is a simple game - where everyone has to walk around an area mingling, and when a number is called out, you have to group with that number of people. Once grouped, the leader asks a question such as "what are you most excited for on camp?". This is then repeated until the game ends. The purpose is to find out people's names and a few interesting bits and pieces. Plus, it gets you looking a little silly in front of everyone else - so naturally everyone relaxes quickly. To be honest, these things are organised chaos. We have several camp songs/games etc where nobody really knows the rules and what is going on - but that's camp in a nutshell...

One of my highlights from 2014 staff training made a comeback this year too - Ben and Jerry's night. The concept is so simple - here are several tubs of Ice Cream, go bond over that! Simple yet effective.

Another highlight of training on camp is the exercise on multiculturalism. For a camp of approx 90 staff, we can boast a huge range of countries: from the UK and Ireland, to South Africa and Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand, Mexico to Jamaica and all across Europe and the USA. In fact, we actually have 6 continents represented by staff on camp. The activity involved us splitting into 5 groups, ranging from the small town/countryside category up to large city. This was to try and identify differences and similarities between the places we live. We were tasked with creating a collage of things about where we live. I was in the large city group - and drew things from both Middlesbrough (where I was born) and London (where I work and study). Middlesbrough was obviously the Transporter Bridge (I considered drawing fat people in tracksuits eating Greggs, but though better of it); and for London, I drew a Routemaster, the TfL Roundel and and Oyster Card. My personal favourite, and the most British thing I could think of, was the Nandos logo. After all, let's face it, is there anything more British than a cheeky Nandos?

Just a range of countries represented on camp
Perhaps the most unusual way we bonded on camp was over the EU Referendum. As camp's resident economist, I was on hand to provide economic and political insight into the polling night (with the -5h time difference bonus) with most UK staff (and a large amount of international staff) crowded round one laptop and the BBC News Website. Especially for the international staff, it was useful for me to explain about what the EU is and why it is important.
People who know me know exactly how I feel about the EU - and of course what I feel about the decision. I am currently at a place that teaches the importance of diversity, working together and common goals... Is it any surprise then the vast majority (if not all) of the staff I spoke to are pro remain? Whilst this is not the place to discuss the result, bear those three words in mind. Whilst I am shocked and disappointed, camp will always be my priority - and I will not let ANYTHING spoil my summer. Plus, being on camp means I'm "in the bubble". With limited internet and minimal access to the outside world, I don't have to listen to all the doom and gloom from Robert Pestonandonandon, and can actually enjoy my life.

But a positive note to finish on. Yet another staff training favourite made a come back - Minute to Win It. Essentially this is just like a game show: each of us are part of 1 of 4 teams, where we will have to complete tasks either alone, as a pair or as a trio. Each task lasts approximately 60 seconds - hence the name minute to win it. Tasks included ripping apart a cardboard box with just your teeth, sucking MnMs from 1 bowl to another and throwing Cheetos into each other's mouths - all completely random and utterly hilarious! This gets super competitive, so hence it is great fun. Our team was super enthusiastic - making up team songs for both the team and each of the players. In my first year at camp, my team won, but this year we could only manage third. There was a little bit of suspected fowl play during my favourite round, the guess the song round, which didn't help us. Nether the less, it was great fun, a little bit crazy and hugely enthusiastic - qualities I hope the rest of camp will have too!

Labels: , , ,