The Calm Before the Storm


So, I'm here. I have now arrived at the place I'll be calling home for the next 10 weeks or so. And how oh so good it feels to be back!

My first thought It's quite refreshing that nothing has really changed. The hills, the dining hall and the waterfront are exactly how I remembered - to the extent it almost feels like I had never left in the fist place (without sounding cliched, there will always be a little bit of camp in me). The location of camp is just beautiful though. The first few days have all been sunny and still with bright blue skies reflecting off the lake  (although it has been wet later in the week). Again, it is so good to be back!

At the moment, there aren't many on camp at all - with just the newbie lifeguards, the set-up crew and a few others. This means my first few days will be the quietest I will see camp. Once the remaining staff arrive, and staff training is in full swing, it will be far busier. And of course, peace and quiet will simply not exist once the kids arrive. The slow pace is also good while it lasts. Usually with placement I have been super busy with both work and home commitments; now, I have very little I need to do and places to be. It's great simply being able to have a wander round camp, chill with people in the evenings and generally chill out. The adjustment feels a little odd though - I keep feeling like I should be doing something... Except I don't. I shouldn't complain at all (especially since it will 100% NOT be the case once the campers arrive) but it feels strange none the less.

Looking out from the top end of the lake
All but one of the lifeguards have arrived on camp, with one more coming later in the week. It's early days, but it seems like we have a good team. There are 2 returners (1 from last year, plus myself) and 5 newbies - with just the waterfront director, who I worked with in my first summer and went travelling with, to arrive. They are all going through their initial training at the moment - and I've been 'helping' with some of the theory elements. I'm going to have to renew my certification very soon, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing for that yet.

Few of the new lifeguards
The first days of camp are always pretty good. Despite being low on numbers, it's been great to spend time with people new and old. We've played a lot of card games, and played a game of volleyball with about 15 of us which got super competitive. I also introduced camp to a game that 100% should never ever play with the kids on camp (seriously, kickboxing is more acceptable) - Cards Against Humanity. For those who don't know what it is, you probably don't want to know; if you do, you will know just how great an icebreaker it is...

Over the next week or so, camp will begin to get busier. Staff are slowly arriving - I'm actually in New York today picking up a few newbies - which is pretty awesome. I can also guarantee when my boss arrives I'll be far busier. I do also have to renew my ARC lifeguarding course at some point (especially since it expires tomorrow...) which is certainly not a walk in the park.

Of course, like last year, Internet doesn't really exist. Camp hasn't really caught up with modern tech yet. Not sure when the next post will be - but I'll aim for some point during staff training. Bye for now!

Labels: ,