Welcome To New York... It's Been Waiting for You...

Mondays. No body really likes them. Mine begin with waking up at 6:15, stumbling to Uxbridge tube station whilst still half asleep, boarding a tube, finding out the tube is delayed and admitting that this isn't going to be a great week. Once in the office, it's deadlines, documents and "did I really have to wake up for that?".


Although this Monday was certainly a whole lot different...


Yesterday's flight was pretty smooth. The joys of getting a free upgrade (Thats right, I'm travelling premium economy!) meant I was checked in and through security incredibly quick. A mere 10 minutes after bag drop opened I was through security and enjoying a Caffe Nero airside in Heathrow Terminal 3. Naturally I got a pre-flight selfie too.

But first, let me take a selfie...
The flight itself was pretty uneventful - took off on-time, landed on-time, so no complaints on that front. My free upgrade was a slight bonus too. As some of my colleagues in the bank know, I rarely turn down a free drink so all the free wine was great! In all honesty though, whilst the check in was super quick and a massive bonus - I'm not sure how much extra I would pay for economy plus. Did the flight get me from LHR to JFK on time and in reasonable comfort? Yes. So job done. Delta will have to do more to make them feel my love for Comfort+. Although, turning tables, I didn't pay any extra for it, so anything extra is a bonus.


Sleep was pretty limited on the plane, but at least I can say that I tried. The flight was pretty uneventful really, and is hardly exciting enough to set fire to the rain. I pretty much just listened to music (saying hello to that summer playlist!), enjoyed complementary wine and watched The Simpsons. Oh, and rumour has it I watched the Adele documentary that Graham Norton did earlier in the year (odd choice for the flight but pretty good none the less). That probably explains some of the odd wording in the last paragraphs then...


I'm currently staying in Queens at a place called Q4. I fancied something a little different from the Hostelling International where everyone else tends to head. The hostel itself is great, and is very cool and contemporary - plus only $70 for the 2 nights is far cheaper than a Manhattan hostel. It's only 1 stop from Manhattan, and direct on the subway from JFK Airport too. Slight downside though it is right next to a busy road junction and rail interchange - so is very loud. But hey, it's a pretty great choice of hostel actually!


I struggled to sleep last night despite checking about 10:30pm local time (3:30am UK). I can remember looking at my clock repeatedly through the night and haven't adjusted as well as before to the time difference. It did though mean an early breakfast, and opted to go to a proper American diner - you know, do as the locals do and all that. Just like in the movies, it looked a little like a converted airstream trailer with the classic neon signs. I was also served my filter coffee and pancake stack by a slightly over helpful waitress. Also just like you'd expect, the portions were f'ing huge! I could only finish around half.


After a short hop across the Queensboro bridge, I decided to meet up with a few of the counsellors that had arrived already. They were all staying at the Hostelling International I've stayed at previously (IE the one everyone goes to, because actually it makes sense to all go to the same place...). We chilled there a bit just to get to know each other - and it certainly seems we have  great bunch of counsellors this year! That group all headed off to camp today, as they'll be starting the 1st timer lifeguard training. I also got to see the camp director again which was hugely exciting - and we are both really pleased that I'm back

I spent the afternoon wandering round New York with another returnee counsellor. We hadn't met before, as they'd skipped two years of camp (to my 1) but they still knew loads about the camp regardless. We also met one of the unit leaders from my 1st year which was great. We headed along the Brooklyn Bridge for a little bit, but only for a short while as we were both recovering a little bit after our flights. We then generally just chilled out for a bit - sitting in Union Square. It was great having a pretty chilled day, as I really didn't feel up to much as I'm pretty out of whack after yesterday's flight and late night. Therefore it was great just to chat, chill and generally share stories about camp.


It still does not feel real though. I've been banging on for ages now about two years in the making, counting the days, when I wake up in New York etc (I probably come across as waaaaay to keen!) but it's all true. There's been a lot build up to this, but now I'm here. Welcome to New York!

Tomorrow I'll be heading back to camp again. My general feeling now is certainly one of excitement. The nerves that I had in first year are almost certainly gone. Genuinely, I just cannot wait to finally be back! Fingers crossed for yet another truly incredible summer!


Labels: , , ,