I should probably start of this post with an explanation about why I haven’t posted in a while – not since San Diego for that matter (oh I miss that place). Truth is, I have been busy. Since then, I have had a term of university to negotiate.
This isn’t to say I haven’t had much to say about the States, as I have actually been very busy with my ‘camp away from camp job’ with Camp Leaders. I have done bit of online marketing (you often see my photos pop up on their social media), been touring London with careers fairs and presentations and, as of Monday, I will have conducted 24 interviews. Plus, I have been involved in other exciting Smaller Earth programs such as UK Work and Travel and Resort Work USA.
January is where things get really busy (and exciting) as it will be time for our Job Fairs. This is where camps fly over from the States, and it is a fantastic time to secure your placement for camp this summer. This will be my third with Camp Leaders, so hopefully I know a thing or two by now…
To put it one way, it is a market. Instead of fruit, veg and posh sausages, there are jobs. You could even say it’s a jobs market, if you pardon the pun.
Like any market, there will be stalls. At each stall, there will be a camp. At each one, you will have the chance to speak to the camp about what they have on offer, and (if they like you) they will ask you questions about what you can offer to that camp. If they still really like you, they will offer you a job at their camp. Simple!
Tip 2) Do Your Research
Even before you turn up to the job fair, make sure you are prepared. Camp Leaders will release a list of fairs attending a week or so beforehand. This will be your chance to do a bit of reading up on the camps, and find ones that suit you.
Firstly, with the description of each camp, there will be two important things: a list of roles available and start dates. Any that do not match your dates of availability – just discount. If they want you to start on the 15th May, but you have your last exam on the 1st June, it isn’t going to work… Along with this, some camps do also have a minimum age requirement of 21 or other eligibility criteria. Like before, it will just be a no…
Pick out some camps that sound great and find out about them. What is their camps specialism and what activities do they offer? Why is their camp great? or any other cool facts about the camp. If you sound like you know about their camp when you speak to them, this will make a lot of difference. If you sound like you are really enthusiastic about their camp, they are going to value that a lot. Camps have even been known to ‘create’ positions for people who will fit in well, but there isn’t necessarily a position for them.
But, don’t set your heart on just one camp. Some on the day might just speak to ‘the one’. But, if ‘the one’ doesn’t love you back… Be open minded. Perhaps research 5 to 10 in detail, but be prepared to speak to others if things don’t work out.
Tip 3) Supply and Demand
This info will come out in advance, and will be available on the day too, but have a look at which camps want what.
Each camp will have a number of different positions to fill (the demand) and you have skills (the supply). If you can match your skills to the demand – then we reach equilibrium. If your supply and the camps demand are in equilibrium, there is a good chance they might be interested in you. Being an economics student, I could show you fancy graphs and equations explaining the joys of labour market economics – but you probably won’t be that interested.
In simple terms, if you are a great swimmer and have the NPLQ, and the camp is looking for qualified lifeguards, go speak to them!
If you aren’t massively qualified though, no bother! Most camps will advertise ‘general counsellor’ roles. General Counselors are the core of every camp, and they do loads of activities and generally look after the campers, meaning that those who can’t really lead in a skill are best suited to these roles.
Support staff are included in this too. If you are a pro with Microsoft Office, sound great on the end of a phone and love singing your heart out when no one else was in the office (not compulsory, but our office guy last year did this all the time) , then hunt out those camps needing a secretary. With support staff, experience isn’t always required. As long as you want to give something ago, it may suit you.
Keep an eye and ear out during the day too, as some camps will literally be screaming out for certain skills. I can’t say too much yet (mainly because I am not sure I’m allowed to know yet) but rumour has it Camp Leaders will be introducing a super cool way of doing this…
Tip 4) Making the First Impression
When you get the chance to speak to a camp, that first impression counts. This first conversation will be the difference between you getting an interview with the camp, and not.
I would recommend a technique called the elevator pitch. I use this a lot with Camp Leaders. Imagine you are in a lift with Lord Sugar, and you had to sell to him why you are his next Apprentice in the time it takes to get from floor 5 to the ground floor. Tell them your name, a bit about you, your skills and experience and why you want to work for them.
Something like:
“Hi, I’m Liam. I am currently at Brunel University in London studying Economics. I also work part time for Camp Leaders, bringing new people onto the program. I am also a great swimmer and hold both UK and US lifeguarding qualifications. I have been swimming at a club level for over 11 years, and represent my university in swimming. I noticed your camp has a big swimming program, and would love to speak more about it.
In the words of Francis from The Apprentice – nailed it! Just whatever you do, please show more personality than Courtney, and A LOT less personality than Karthik . Thankfully as well, there will be no Claude Littner in sight…
Tip 5) Queueing
Before we let you off on a cultural exchange in the USA, time to master the most culturally important thing in the UK – queueing.
There will be a lot of people there. Like a lot a lot of people. So, you may have to wait. But, this doesn’t mean you can’t be smart about it. If you are in a long queue, you will probably be better off in a shorter one. If a camp has a 20 minute queue, but another has no line, speak to the one with no line. All the camps we work with are amazing, and whilst this may not be one you set your heart on, it will still be fantastic. Go back to the first camp when they have a shorter queue. My Dad has a saying “the more lottery tickets you buy, the better chance you have of winning”. Likewise, the more camps you speak to, the better chance you have of being placed.
Tip 6) Show Those Skills
The job fair is really your chance to shine, so make the most of it. Camps love to hear your experience. But go one further – show it!
As a starter, print of a load of your application PDFs. If you can give something for the camp to hold onto, they are more likely to remember you, as they can read back through it. Bring along photos and certificates for your skills too. If you have an iPad (other tablet based computing devices also exist) put them on there. Camps will love to see your FA Level 2, Go Pro footage of you kayaking or your photography portfolio.
But, why not go one further. Why show them a photo, when you can show camps IN PERSON. In previous years, there have been people bringing guitars, pom-poms and basketballs and will show off their skills in the middle of the fair - like this guy who got his cards out in the middle of one of the fairs last year. That takes confidence and initiative – and will make you look great.
So, if you are a musician, give us a song; circus performers, get your diablo out; and if you are a horse rider, gallop majestically through the hall on your steed with some awesome western music playing on loudspeaker (don’t take the last one too seriously).
Tip 7) Eat Drink Camp Repeat
Just like the Fatboy Slim song, eating, drinking (water), talking to camps and repeating the process is important.
A fair warning, the venues can get a little hot. A top tip is to bring a water bottle and a healthy supply of snacks. If I’m honest, the day can be a little tiring, but staying fed and watered will make a big difference. Plus, having these beforehand will save vital time searching the local area for a McDonalds (the nearest one is 14 min walk from the London venue. Yeah, I Googled it) when you could be talking to camps instead.
Tip 8) Keep Going
The opening lyrics to Coldplay’s Fix You (great song) are “When you try your best but you don’t succeed…”. They are so relevant here. It is unlikely that you will be placed straight away. But keep going. You have to speak to 5, 10 maybe even 20 camps before you are placed on the day. As someone who has been to camp twice now, it is so worth it. Don’t go home after an hour, make sure you stay right to the end. Like before, the more camps you speak to, the better the chance of being placed.
I hate to say it, but you might not even be placed on the day. This can be heart-breaking and hard to take if you don’t. Importantly though, not getting a placement on the day DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL NEVER GET A PLACEMENT. The majority of Camp Leaders applicants are placed online, and not at the job fair. There is a team of experts over in the USA who work flat out to pair applicants to camps. And they rarely fail. Keep hope, and a placement will definitely come around.
Tip 9) Get Stuck in!
Like every Camp Leaders thing in existence, the day is great fun. There will be plenty of crazy stuff going on, so have fun! That is the true spirit of camp. I am genuinely excited to see what is in store.
Tip 10) Say hi!
If you haven’t guessed, I love my job. I try to do all I can for my applicants, and I want to make sure they have an incredible summer.
If I did your interview, and you get placed, I would love to hear. It is honestly one of the highlights of the job seeing people super excited because they are placed at a great camp. If you see me, say hi, tell me all about it, and be as excitable as you like. I am doing this job to make sure as many people as possible have a great summer, just like I have. If you’re going to be one of them, sing it from the rooftops!